TRANSPORTATION SKETCH PLANNING REPORT
This report describes the sketch planning undertaken to give planners and decision makers an overview of the range of transportation options for the Houston area up to 1995, including intensive citizen involvement in each aspect of the planning process. The citizens groups contributed ideas regarding Houston's residential and employment growth patterns, established criteria, and generated and selected alternatives; while the staff had responsibilitry for technical input to the citizens and the more indepth analysis of the travel demand resulting from the population and employment scenarios. Citizens were generally in agreement on the nature of the system, important corridors, and an incremental development approach. An important characteristics of this type of planning is that it creates a forum for citizen input and increasing confidence in the chosen set of priority corridors. It also precluded premature conclusions about "optimum" long-range plans by forcing planners to keep a broad perspective of the transportation options. The variety of citizen concern left no doubt that all potential solutions should be analyzed.
Houston Office of Public Transportation900 Bagby
Houston, TX United States 77002
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Forecasting; Public participation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Option
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00194154
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-9-0066.4
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 11 1981 12:00AM