INVESTIGATION OF IMPROVED CLOSED-CIRCUIT TELEVISION AND AUTOMATIC STENCIL-READING SYSTEMS FOR CAR IDENTIFICATION
This report presents the results of a study performed by ARINC Research Corporation under contract to the Research and Test Department of the Association of American Railroads to investigate improved closed-circuit television (CCTV) and automatic stencil-reading systems for freight car identification. Technologies related to classification yard CCTV systems, optical character recognition and pattern recognition, and techniques for applying ownership marks and numbers were investigated. Conclusions regarding the potential value of these technologies for applications within the railroad operating environment were reported.
ARINC Research Corporation2251 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD USA 21401
- Pruitt, G K
- Miller, J T
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Coaxial cables; Data communications; Freight cars; Information systems; Infrared radiation; Optical character recognition; Optical waveguides; Television
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00190309
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pub-1346-01-1-1866 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM