WINTER REGIME OF RIVERS AND LAKES
Summarizes the mainly 20th century literature, giving instructions for river and lake ice surveys with ice classification and terminology, mapping ice conditions, graphic symbols and their use, and measurement of river stages and discharge in winter, temperatures and ice thickness, incl. illus. of instruments. Other chapters deal with the heat balance on open water in winter, forecasting, formation and forms of frazil ice, formation and growth of the ice cover, breakup incl. ice jams, their destruction and ice control measures by control of the winter regime and local melting of ice covers using air bubbler systems, dusting and chemicals. Ice dams and booms, channel improvements and icebreakers are discussed as controls of ice jams and attendant floods during breakup.
- Cold regions science and engineering monograph III-B1A.
Hanover, NH USA 03755-1290
- Michel, B
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Deicing; Ice; Ice phenomena; Measurement; Physical properties; Snow and ice control; Surveys; Weather forecasting
- Candidate Terms: Ice forecasting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ice breakup
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Air bubbling systems; Arctic surveys; Ice measurement; Ice surveys
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00043766
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Arctic Institute of North America
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 27 1973 12:00AM