PASSIVE CONTROL AT RAIL-HIGHWAY GRADE CROSSING
Two combinations of experimental advance warning and crossing signs were developed for use at passively controlled rail-highway grade crossings. Each combination was installed at three sites for a total of six experimental sites. New conventional signing was installed at four additional sites. "Before" and "after" studies measured the effectiveness of two control changes; "as is" conventional to upgraded conventional and upgraded conventional to experimental. Effectiveness was measured using motorist interviews, observed brake light applications, and sport speed studies. Upon comparison of before and after studies, an increase was noticed at all experimental sites in "Signs" (either advance or cross buck) as a reason for awareness. All increases except one were statistically significant. Differences in responses to experimental signs were noticed when the signs were considered together (advance and crossbuck) and in combination with other responses. It was found that the experimental signs using brilliant yellow green Scotchlite were more noticeable than the other combination of experimental signs. Other changes include a reduction in the variance of spot speeds at nine out of ten sites, and an increase in the percentage of motorists observed to apply brakes at seven out of seven sites. From the results, it was implied that all control changes increased awareness of the crossings. At experimental sites, the new signing is considered to account for this increase in awareness. /FHWA/
Trenton, NJ USA 08625
- Dommasch, I N
- Hollinger, R L
- Reilly, E F
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Awareness; Benefit cost analysis; Driver performance; Drivers; Interviewing; Personnel performance; Railroad grade crossings; Traffic signs; Warning signs
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00189354
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78-T0296 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 1979 12:00AM