FIRE DETECTION INNOVATION
By demonstrating that sound can be used to communicate data through structural steel, Naval Weapons Center scientists have found a new, improved way to detect fires on ships. This kind of communications link provides fast and accurate detection, location, and monitoring capabilities, while remaining immune to fire damage itself. The device, which uses the ship's hull as the transmission medium, proved successful through 115 feet of structural steel framework.
Navy Technology Transfer Fact SheetP.O. Box 3144
Annapolis, MD United States 21403
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: n.p.
- Volume: 4
- Issue Number: 2
- TRT Terms: Fire detection systems; Fires; Ships
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship fires
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00189266
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Navy Technology Transfer Fact Sheet
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM