TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT ELEMENT
Transportation Systems Management (TSM) denotes a process designed to increase the efficiency of existing transportation facilities and resources by implementing low-capital measures which reduce the need for major capital improvements. In addition to fiscal economy, the TSM process insures that meaningful steps can be taken toward attaining broader local and national goals, which include: energy conservation; environmental improvements; equity for transit dependents; and urban preservation. Several factors strongly influence the conception of the TSM planning process. First, TSM must be an intergral part of some overall scheme or approach to transportation planning in the region. Second, in order to be successful, TSM planning must conform to a key set of attributes or requirements. Third, and most important, the process must effectively generate results, because the process itself is not the end product. TSM planning must produce projects designed to meet preconceived goals and objectives in the most cost-effective and publicly acceptable manner. This report documents the TSM planning process in the St. Louis, Missouri region, and includes TSM goals and objectives, planning programs, projects and concepts, and project monitoring. A part of this document sets the stage and direction for future TSM planning for this area. /UMTA/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/M00900143270
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
East-West Gateway Coordinating Council112 North 4th Street, Suite 1200
St Louis, MO USA 63102
- Sterman, L
- Schold, S
- Ferris, B
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Cost effectiveness; Energy conservation; Environmental protection; Public transit; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00195945
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: M0-09-0014 (327.0)
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-M0-09-0014-79-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM