ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS STUDY
This study focuses on the coordination and consolidation of transportation services for the elderly and handicapped in the New Haven, Connecticut area. The report focuses on the areas of vehicle control, financial control, and system evaluation. In some cases, analyses have been up-dated during the preparation of this final report. The proposed near-term system is intended to provide a plan for the integration of services. Initially, it is proposed that this involve services currently offered or planned by three local agencies: the City of New Haven Office of Human Services; the Easter Seal Rehabilitation Center; and the Greater New Haven Transit District. Integration would be accomplished through purchase of service agreements between each agency and a local private transportation operator. This approach represents a cross between system consolidation and system coordination, and attempts to achieve the economies of consolidation while allowing participating agencies to retain a degree of identity and control. A purchase of service agreement based on payment per passenger is also proposed. The vehicles (10 to 12 passenger vans) for the service are to come from a combination of public and private sources. To improve the management of the system, it is proposed that an automated computer-aided scheduling/financial control system be designed and implemented. To facilitate the implementation and monitoring of the service, some degree of coordination between participating agencies is required. This report discusses operating framework, vehicle control, financial control, reporting requirements, cost analysis, and system implementation.
Multisystems, Incorporated1050 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 134 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Analysis; Automated vehicle control; Computer aided design; Costs; Finance; Integrated systems; Needs assessment; Persons with disabilities; Private transportation; Public transit; Scheduling; Transportation; Transportation operations; Urban areas; Vans
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Integration; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Finance; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00195939
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0069-79-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: IT-09-0069
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM