MORTAR MIXTURES FOR THIN, SKID RESISTANT CONCRETE SURFACES
This paper describes work on the skid resistance properties of some fine aggregates available in Indiana, as an attempt to improve the driving safety characteristics of portland cement concrete pavements. For this purpose, mortar samples were tested under the British Polishing Machine to simulate the wearing action of the traffic, and by means of the Portable Skid-Resistance Tester, the best aggregate and mix proportions were selected to be applied as a very thin non-skid surface overlay for concrete pavements. The laboratory analysis considers the non-skid properties of the fine aggregates: natural sand, lightweight aggregate (expanded shale) and slag, after the surface texture of the overlay has been lost, which is the most critical situation. The cement modifier Latex 464 and Rhoplex MC-76 were used to improve strength and bond capacity of the mortars. In this investigation, the adhesion developed by the thin overlay on a pavement surface was evaluated at the laboratory by means of the Pull Out Test; in this test the force required to pull out a section of the overlay is recorded as a result. /FHWA/
- Conducted in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration. Part of the research study titled "Thin Applied Surfacing for Improving Skid Resistance on Concrete Pavements".
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
- GOMEZ-DOMINGUEZ, J
- Publication Date: 1978-6-1
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Cement; Concrete aggregates; Concrete pavements; Mix design; Mortar; Pull out test; Simulation; Skid resistance; Strength of materials; Traffic loads
- Old TRIS Terms: Cement modifications
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00195893
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IN-78-8 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 1-(15) Part II
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1979 12:00AM