MASS TRANSIT PROGRAM FOR THE SAINT LOUIS METROPOLITAN AREA
After ten years of serious consideration of the some type of steelwheel-steelrail public transit improvements, the conclusion was reached that for the forseeable future bases operating on existing streets and highways with certain modifications are the most cost-effective means to meet this region's transit needs. This report is Phase I of the Alternatives Analysis Program for the St. Louis Metropolitan Area, and it defines a 1985 Mass Transit Program for the area. The program cosists of an expanded all-bus system with the addition of Freeway Bus Service and Park-Ride facilities in enght corridors. The major activities in included surveys of community leaders, transit dependents, and areawide survey (a telephone random sample). An analysis of transit needs of the region with speicial emphasis on the transit-dependent was performed. Physical opportunities for transit improvements were identified. Three alternative regional systems were prepared and analyzed for patronage, costs, benefits, and impact. Four refined (composite) systems were prepared and analyzed. Initially, light rail transit was considered worthy of Phase II alternatives analysis, but the final decision was to proceed with an all-bus on local streets system. Other reports of "Transit Needs Analysis" are: "Volume I: Transit Needs Assessment" (UMTA-IT-09-0067-79-4); "Volume I: Transit Needs Assessment, Appendixes" (UMTA-IT-09-0067-79-5); "Volume II: Procedural Manual" (UMTA-IT-09-0067-79-6); and "Public Acceptance Plan" (UMTA-IT-09-0067-79-8). /UMTA/
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration. Prepared for the East-West Gateway Coordinating Council.
Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mendenhall,
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 143 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Bus transit; Freeways; Park and ride; Ridership; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00195884
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0067-79-7
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM