MEDICALLY IMPAIRED DRIVERS: AN EVALUATION OF CALIFORNIA POLICY
This study consisted of reviews of traffic safety and medical literature, collection of data on the accident involvement rate of drivers with disabling mental or physical conditions, evaluation of the justifiability of current Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) practices with regard to such persons, and evaluation of the Department's effectiveness in reducing the accident risk levels of drivers with mental or physical disabilities. The disabilities considered at some length include: neurological disorders, diabetes, cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease, conditions associated with aging, and miscellaneous diseases. The principal study approaches are outlined. The study conclusions are summarized.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA USA 95813
- Janke, M E
- Peck, R C
- Dreyer, D R
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 381 p.
- TRT Terms: Cardiovascular system; Diabetics; Diseases and medical conditions; Drivers; Mental illness; Neurology; Physical handicaps; Traffic crashes
- Old TRIS Terms: Aging; Medical disability
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00195625
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-DMV-RSS-78-67 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM