FIELD VERIFICATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE VESYS IIM STRUCTURAL SUBSYSTEM IN UTAH
The study was initiated to verify the VESYS IIM flexible pavement design model on pavements in service, make changes in the program where appropriate, and determine the most effective methdos of implementing the procedure in Utah. Original materials for each pavement analyzed were obtained for sample preparation simulating conditions at the time of the initial design. Pavement performance predictions were thus generated using the VESYS IIM program for comparison with actual performance measurements. The rutting and PSI predictions were found to be adequate, with the measured values falling within the 95% confidence intervals in most cases. The program was somewhat effective in predicting the general magnitude of fatigue cracking. Due to the type and length of the testing involved in the procedure, it would be difficult to design each new pavement individually using the VESYS program at this time. It is more feasible to use the procedure to improve pavement designs in an indirect manner, investigating general design parameters. One such application has been done on the gradation used in Utah's pavements, and is described in this report. Hopefully, the program can be used to design individual pavements at some future date. The use of the VESYS IIM design procedure should enhance the view of the pavement design engineer, allowing him to select the most economical design. This should reduce costs in the areas of construction, materials, maintenance and user expenditures. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Salt Lake City, UT United States 84104
- Anderson, D I
- Peterson, D E
- McBride, J C
- Shepherd, L W
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Computer aided design; Concrete; Cracking; Fatigue (Mechanics); Feasibility analysis; Flexible pavements; Forecasting; Mathematical models; Pavement design; Ruts (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking; Rut
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00195585
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78-510 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8558
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM