INTERIM EVALUATION OF THE MINNEAPOLIS RIDESHARING COMMUTER SERVICES DEMONSTRATION
This report presents an interim evaluation of the impacts of ridesharing brokerage project at three multi-employer work sites in the Minneapolis metropolitan area. The demonstration project is funded by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration as part of the Service and Methods Demonstration Program. In this demonstration, the Metropolitan Transit Commission is coordinating a variety of brokerage functions which are designed to encourage increased ridership in high occupancy vehicles to non-CBD work sites. The modes being promoted are carpooling, vanpooling, subscription and regular bus. This interim evaluation focuses on an analysis of pre-demonstration survey data. Site characteristics and work conditions are described in detail, including parking availability, observed variance in start-end times, worker overtime requirements and business need for a car. It is shown that these work conditions and the relatively short commute distances to the demonstration site impose major barriers to successful demonstration results. A series of market penetration measures are presented to evaluate the effectiveness of the broker's marketing efforts. The results suggest that formal employee presentations are much more effective than passive marketing tools in attracting commuter interest in ridesharing. This evaluation report is based on the project events up to September 1, 1978. As such, conclusions drawn in this report are strictly preliminary and subject to modification to reflect changes in the project during the remainder of the evaluation period. /UMTA/
- Work performed under contract to the Transportation Systems Center.
Cambridge Systematics, Incorporated100 Cambridge Park Drive, Suite 400
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
- SHERMAN, L
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 153 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Carpools; Commuting; Demonstration projects; Marketing; Ridesharing; Urban transportation; Vanpools
- Uncontrolled Terms: Subscription bus service
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00195577
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MN-06-0008-79-1Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1981 12:00AM