BOUNDARY INTEGRAL EQUATION SOLUTION OF PLANE ELASTICITY PROBLEMS WITH HIGH STRESS CONCENTRATIONS
A numerical method for determination of stresses in two-dimensional elastic bodies with high stress concentrations is presented. Emphasis is placed on bodies with a notch having a fillet of small radius and bodies with a crack of small width. These static boundary value problems are formulated in terms of boundary integral equations of a type used previously by Barone and Robinson for sharp notches and cracks. For the fillet problem a small inner region containing the fillet and bounded by a circle is separated and analyzed numerically under the loading system of each of the Williams' solution of the corresponding sharp notch. The results are then used to develop analytical solutions for the intermediate region adjacent to the fillet region. In this way the details of the boundary configuration of the fillet is reflected in a set of generalized displacements which characterize the intermediate field. For the solution of the whole body including the loaded boundary, kernels developed by Barone and Robinson are used to pick out the generalized displacement of the intermediate region. The solution of the wide crack problem is similar except that a perturbation scheme is required to ensure homogeneous boundary conditions at the actual edges of the crack.
- Research sponsored by the Office of Naval Research, Department of the Navy, Arlington, Va., 22217. Project No. NR 064-183.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
- Nikooyeh, H
- Robinson, A R
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 122 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fracture mechanics; Plates (Engineering); Stresses; Structural analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Stress concentration; Stress intensity factors
- Old TRIS Terms: Notch stress; Plate deformation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00195373
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU-ENG-79-2005 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-75-C-0164
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM