BENDING MOMENT IN BRIDGE SLABS DUE TO WHEEL LOADS
A design office procedure for determining the induced live-load bending moment in a concrete bridge slab is presented. The procedure provides longitudinal and transverse bending moments at the centerline of the slab resulting from any pattern of vehicle tires. Empirical equations are used to determine effects of wheels at the slab centerline, and moment contour maps are used for wheels remote from this point. The procedure compares well with analytical and experimental results obtained by others. The effect of wheel overloads on the long-term serviceability of concrete bridge slabs is also discussed.
Albany, NY United States 12232
- Beal, D B
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Bending; Bending moments; Bridge decks; Bridge design; Bridges; Concrete; Concrete bridges; Highway bridges; Highway transportation; Live loads; Load factor; Load limits; Loads; Maps; Oversize loads; Serviceability; Slabs; Structural design; Tires; Wheel loads
- Uncontrolled Terms: Overloads
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams and girders; Concrete products; Decks
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00195235
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR 63
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 2003 12:00AM