DEVELOPMENT OF A STREAMING-FIBER OIL SPILL CONTROL SYSTEM; STAGE II--MODIFICATIONS TO LARGE-SCALE MODEL
The large-scale model of the Streaming-Fiber fast current oil skimmer was modified to improve performance in waves and viscous oils. Modification included a sorbent foam belt rotating beneath the fiber array to intercept and collect any oil escaping from the fibers, and separate flotation for the fiber array to improve wave conformance by decoupling the array motions from the skimmer vessel. Testing indicated benefits from both of these modifications. The program involved small-scale foam capacity tests and small-scale model tests, as well as testing of the large-scale model at OHMSETT. A preliminary prototype design, utilizing the most promising developments to date, is included in the report.
Seaward International, Incorporated6269 Leesburg Pike, Suite 204
Falls Church, VA United States 22044
- Beach, R L
- Durfee, D W
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Oil recovery equipment; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Belt skimmers; Model testing; Oil removal equipment; Oil skimmers; Oil spill control
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00194961
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-05-79 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CH-40217-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1979 12:00AM