FREIGHTCAR VIBRATION TEST AND ANALYSIS COMPARISON -- VALIDATION OF FRATE
A nonlinear computer program for Freight Car Response Analysis and Test Evaluation (FRATE) has been developed under the sponsorship of the Federal Railroad Administration. The computer program incorporates a model of a Trailer on Flat Car (TOFC) configuration. Validation of the FRATE/TOFC program is being accomplished through comparison of analysis results to the results of vibration tests performed on a TOFC configuration at the Rail Dynamics in Pueblo, Colo. Lab. Validation criteria include resonant frequency, deflection shape at resonance and amplification of input motions. This paper presents a brief review of the FRATE/TOFC computer program, a summary of TOFC vibration test results and comparisons of test and analysis results. Procedures followed to achieve acceptable agreement between test and analysis are reviewed.
- For Meeting held November 27-30, 1978.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Kachadourian, G
- Tsai, N T
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Applications; Commodities; Computer programs; Data processing; Dynamic loads; Flat cars; Freight cars; Freight traffic; Measurement; Piggyback transportation; Railroad cars; Simulation; Structural analysis; Tests; Trailer on flat car; Validation; Vehicle dynamics; Vibration; Vibrators (Electricity)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Natural sciences applications; Vibrators
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00194877
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 781049 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM