POTENTIAL SEVERITY OF ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
A Cauchy-type distribution was found from analysis of data on injuries and fatalities occuring between 1971 and 1978 in transportation of hazardous materials by all modes. Based on observations of extremes in any one accident in a year, it was concluded that the potential severity of future accidents would be unacceptably high. It is recommended that accident severity be reduced, along with cutting the number of accidents.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Kahn, D
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash rates; Crash risk forecasting; Crash severity; Forecasting; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Safety; Statistical analysis; Transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00194863
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: SS-20-U1.1-50
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM