GREAT LAKES CARRIERS HULL STRESS MONITORING SYSTEM
The purpose of this research is to investigate the operations of Great Lakes Carriers, particularly the stress problems these ships are likely to encounter, and the technological state of the art, and to make recommendations for a system that would be of use to ship operating personnel both in making them aware of worsening stress conditions and in providing them with some information upon which to base corrective action. Background studies carried out in the early stages of the project confirmed the importance of providing a stress monitoring system of Great Lakes bulk carriers, especially for the new long ships which are particularly susceptible to high spring stresses. Based on preliminary results presented last year the decision was made to proceed with the development of specifications for a computerized digital system. The system will incorporate video (CRT) graphical displays and use the best available technology to advise the captain of the consequences of alternative action. Still water, wave and spring stress will all be considered. The computer will also be available for ship management activities.
- Prepared with the Assistance of Hoffman Maritime Consultants, Inc., Marine Consultants and Designers, Inc., Teledyne Engineering Services. Executive Summary available from NTIS as PB-295538/3ST
Webb Institute of Naval ArchitectureCenter for Maritime Studies
Glen Cove, NY USA 11542
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bulk carriers; Digital computers; Graphics; Hulls; Information processing; Instrumentation; Stresses; Structural analysis; Waves
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computer aided analysis
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Digital systems; Graphic displays; Hull damage prevention; Hull instrumentation; Hull stress; Instrumentation (Hull); Springing; Wave induced stresses
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00194727
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-940-79048 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-7-38035
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 13 2003 12:00AM