COMPARISON OF STRESSES CALCULATED USING THE DAISY SYSTEM TO THOSE MEASURED ON THE SL-7 CONTAINERSHIP PROGRAM (SL-7-24)
A comparison of stresses calculated using the ABS/DAISY system with those measured on board the SL-7 Containership is undertaken to verify the analytical procedures used in assessing the strength of ships in a seaway. The comparisons and evaluations are performed for four different and progressively more severe technical conditions: dockside calibration, RMS stresses in head seas, instantaneous stresses in head seas and instantaneous stresses in oblique seas. The overall comparison between calculated and measured stresses for the dockside calibration is good where thermal effects were small but inconclusive elsewhere. The comparison of RMS stresses in head seas is generally satisfactory, using both the spectrum analysis approach and the equivalent regular wave approach, and the comparison of instantaneous stresses in head seas and in oblique seas is also good for the wave conditions considered. The results show that the existing analytical tools for predicting wave loads and structural responses are suitable to assess the overall strength of the hull-girder. All the measured and calculated hull-girder stresses are of low magnitude, and no modifications to the present hull-girder strength standard are deemed necessary.
- Final Report on Project SR-1236 "SL-7 Calculations Compared With Full-Scale Measured Values."
American Bureau of ShippingABS Plaza, 16855 Northchase Drive
Houston, TX USA 77060
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Jan, H Y
- CHANG, K T
- Wojnarowski, M E
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending; Bending stress; Computer programs; Containerships; Finite element method; Hulls; Instrumentation; Spectrum analysis; Stresses; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Waves
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Stress); Hull girder stresses; Hull instrumentation; Hull response; Instrumentation (Hull); Wave induced stresses
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00194577
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-282 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-63176 A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM