SIMULATION OF BRIDGE COLLISION INCIDENTS INVOLVING INLAND WATERWAY TOWS
A mathematical model has been formulated to simulate the motion of a river barge flotilla maneuvering in an inland waterway. The mathematical model includes the inertial and hydrodynamic forces due to the motion of the flotilla through the water, as well as applied forces due to rudder and propeller action, wind and current channel boundaries, along with arbitrary wind and current speed and direction (including cross currents, non-uniform currents and eddys) can be easily described in the model coordinate system. In the present formulation, bank suction and shallow water effects are neglected. The mathematical model has been implemented in a FORTRAN computer program. The program is written to run in a "conversational" mode, periodically displaying the present status of the simulation to the user, and prompting for input of undated rudder and speed commands. The program has been structured to permit different tow characteristics and steering strategies to be evaluated with a minimum of difficulty. A sample program input deck and output listing are shown. This report provides the description of the theoretical basis of the model.
- See also the Program Users Documentation, CG-D-49-78, NTIS No. AD058321. Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, United States Coast Guard Office of Research and Development.
Hoffman Maritime Consultants Incorporated9 Glen Head Road
Glen Head, NY United States 11545
- Petrie, G L
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Barges; Bridges; Crashes; Force; Hydrodynamic pressure; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Mathematical models; Ocean currents; Propellers; Rudders; Ship simulators; Simulation; Towboat operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge maneuverability; Bridge collisions; Current forces; Hydrodynamic forces; Propeller forces; Rudder forces; Tow maneuverability
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00194555
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-48-78 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-72402-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM