ENERGY CONSERVATION IN DEPARTMENT OF HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORTATION BUILDINGS
This report reviews the policy of the Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation toward energy conservation in the operation of its buildings and recommends further measures for conserving energy. Recommendations include specific measures which can be taken by the department of little or no cost or where payback within a relatively short time (5 years or less) can be expected. A longer range program to upgrade the energy-efficiency of all existing buildings, which would be based on a study of energy usage for various types of buildings and heating plants, is also recommended. Also, the savings from the installation of energy-conserving measures in typical buildings would be evaluated and considered in assigning priorities for capital improvements in other buildings of similar types. Related reports published as a part of HPR Project 1460 are "The Outlook for Transportation Energy" -- An Overview and Summary of Conservation plans in Virginia, Report No. VHTRC 78-R17. "Energy Use and Conservation in Highway Construction and Maintenance", VHTRC 78-R42 -- the final report of Task 1 of the project. Final reports for Task 2 --"Highway Operations" and Task 3 -- "Highway Lighting" are in preparation. /FHWA/
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration, Richmond, Virginia.
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
- Halstead, W J
- McGhee, K H
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Building; Capital; Conservation; Costs; Economic efficiency; Energy; Highway maintenance; Improvements; Road construction; Street lighting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Subject Areas: Construction; Economics; Energy; Environment; Finance; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00194537
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-VA-7-R-11 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 1460
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1979 12:00AM