REPORT OF THE THIRTY-NINTH ROUND TABLE ON TRANSPORT ECONOMICS HELD IN PARIS ON 19-20 OCTOBER 1977 ON THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: ECONOMIC PROSPECTS FOR RAILWAYS
This paper considers the economic situation of nearly all the European railway undertakings, and states the main problems existing in railway policy. An attempt is made to assess the railways' future share of passenger and freight transport, considering the modal split in short and long-distance transport. The causes of decline in railway usage are considered. The main section of the report concerns the future pattern of railway services, and recommendations are stated for the provision of economic passenger services. Reasons are given for the railways' loss of freight traffic and railway policy regarding investment and marketing are considered. Mention is made of the need for modifying railway networks and conclusions are stated for future policies. This report provided one of the basic documents for the discussion of this subject at the meeting of the council of ministers on 6 December 1977.
- See also RRIS 23 182836, Bulletin 7901 for Thirty-eighth Round Table.
European Conference of Ministers of Transport19, rue de Franqueville
75775 Paris Cedex 16, France
- Aberle, G
- HAMM, W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Demand; Economic factors; Economics; Federal government; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Intercity transportation; Investments; Marketing; Modal split; Networks; Operating costs; Passengers; Policy; Policy making; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Traffic forecasting; Transportation; Transportation policy; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation networks
- Geographic Terms: Europe; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Intercity services; National transportation policies
- ITRD Terms: 155: Administration; 285: Demand (econ); 263: Economics of transport; 8034: Europe; 741: Goods traffic; 183: Government (national); 227: Investment; 277: Marketing; 675: Modal split; 1054: Network (traffic); 221: Operating costs; 173: Policy; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00194138
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM