EVALUATION OF THE USE OF CERTAIN ELASTOMERS IN ASPHALT
This report covers a laboratory evaluation of the properties of asphalts from eleven of the sources normally used in Texas and the effects of blending with three different elastomers on these properties. Butadienestyrene and neoprene latexes and amorphous polypropylene were used in this study. The different asphalts had substantially different properties when blended with the elastomers and some asphalts demonstrated incompatibility with the latexes. In general the laboratory data indicate increases in low temperature ductility, decreases in temperature susceptibility, improved impact resistance or less brittleness at low temperatures and less change in properties after exposure in the thin film oven test. Some problem with storage stability is reflected by these data with beneficial effects of the latex being reduced with storage at elevated temperatures. One of the latexes tested was substantially less effective than the amorphous polypropylene or the other latex. Field test sections constructed in the summer of 1976 in three different locations in Texas are still performing well and appear to be more effective in controlling reflective cracking than the control section without latex. A tentative specification is presented. /FHWA/
- Study conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. Study Title: Evaluation of the Use of Certain Elastomers in Asphalt.
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspMaterials and Tests Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX USA 78763
- CHAFFIN, C W
- O'Connor, D L
- Hughes, C H
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt; Butadiene; Cracking; Ductility; Elastomer modified asphalt; Low temperature; Neoprene; Polypropylene; Specifications; Temperature
- Uncontrolled Terms: Susceptibility
- Old TRIS Terms: Amorphous; Cracked asphalt
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00193737
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-78180-1F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Study No. 1-9-74-180
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 1979 12:00AM