THE DEVELOPMENT OF A TRANSPORTATION PLANNING LAND USE MODEL
The Georgia Transportation Planning Land Use Model is designed to aid transportation planners in ascertaining the impact of a rural transportation corridor improvement on the economic and land use structure of adjoining communities. When used to analyze the impact of alternative corridors, it can also assist in the development of statewide or sub-state regional transportation plans. The model provides maximum flexibility in estimation procedures, explicit judgmental intervention, and continuing participation by users. A description of the model, preliminary test results and final testing for five project corridors in Georgia are presented. Projections of employment, population, and housing are allocated to counties based upon multiple regression analysis, shift-share analysis, and other techniques. These projections were judgmentally compared with the "Delphi Forecast," a method of sampling expert opinion during the preliminary testing. They are then translated into projected future land consumption by the land supply submodel. The available usable land supply in the test area, assuming no additional public constraints, appears to be fully adequate to accommodate projected economic growth and development beyond 1990. Results of the tests, indicating an ability of the model to measure the interaction between transportation planning decisions and land use development, are presented. The basic assumption in this test, that changes in "accessibility" (a measure of the level of transportation service) resulting from planned transportation improvements will be associated with changes in population, employment, and housing in areas affected by the transportation facility, were supported by statistical tests. /Author/
- This report represents Cooperative Research undertaken by the University of Georgia and the Georgia Department of Transportation with the Federal Highway Administration.
University of Georgia, AthensCollege of Business Administration
Athens, GA USA 30602
Geophysical Prospecting30 Carel van Bylandtlaan
The Hague, Netherlands
- Floyd, C F
- Rowan, M J
- Kau, J B
- Maggied, H S
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRT Terms: Employment; Forecasting; Housings; Land use models; Population growth; Regional transportation; Rural areas; Transportation planning
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Society;
- Accession Number: 00193536
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Georgia Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM