SEA TRIALS: SOME RECOMMENDED PRACTICES
This paper discusses some of the common errors committed in conducting sea trials on commercial vessels. Precautions that are covered in the Technical and Research Bulletin C2 Code for Sea Trials, soon to be published by the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, have been purposely omitted. The author has attempted to call attention to many accepted practices that can, and often do, produce inaccurate trial results. In addition, there are discussions and recommendations on several long-standing controversies associated with sea trials such as the necessity for shaft calibrations and the allowable factors used in the correction of fuel rates and turbine water rates.
- Presented at the Chesapeake Section of SNAME, February 13, 1973, Washington, D.C.
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Jack, R L
- Publication Date: 1973-2-13
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Maneuverability; Ship trials; Standardization; Tests; Turning traffic; Zig zag tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Turning characteristics
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00043202
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 6 1973 12:00AM