BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR URBAN CARS
To find the minimum range, speed, and capacity required to meet most needs of urban drivers, origin-destination surveys from Los Angeles and Washington were processed to determine driving patterns for a typical day. The survey data indicates that ranges sufficient for 95% of driving days would be 75 km for secondary drivers, 150 km for only drivers, and 225 km for primary drivers at urban households. Similarly, speed adequate for freeway use is required to satisfy driver needs on 95% of driving days, with seating for at least two and generally three passengers in addition to the driver.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Hamilton, W
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Driving; Origin and destination; Trip length; Urban areas; Vehicle characteristics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mileage; Occupancy
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00193526
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780219
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM