THE TURBOCHARGED FIVE-CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE FOR THE MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SD
After consideration of various alternatives including the design of a completely new 6-cylinder engine it was decided to equip the existing naturally aspirated 5-cylinder engine presently installed in the smaller sedan and the coupe with a turbocharger. This paper describes in detail the complete engine and particularly the modifications required to cope with the higher thermal and mechanical loads, the installation and adaptation of the turbocharger, the adaptation of the fuel injection pump, and the refinements of the combustion process. Engine and vehicle performance data including noise, exhaust emissions and fuel economy are given.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Oblander, K
- Fortnagel, M
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Combustion; Diesel engines; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Fuel systems; Pumps; Sound level; Turbochargers
- Old TRIS Terms: Turbocharging
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00193337
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780633
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM