CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF EXHAUST PARTICLES FROM GAS TURBINE ENGINES
A program was conducted to chemically characterize particulate emissions from a current technology, high population, gas turbine engine. Attention was focused on polynuclear aromatic compounds, phenols, nitrosamines and total organics. Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) were determined by HPLC, GC/MS and NMR techniques. Phenols and nitrosamines were isolated and then measured by gas chromatographic methods utilizing flame ionization detection and nitrogen detection. Total organics were determined by a backflush chromatographic procedure. The particulate matter was collected using a high capacity pumping system incorporating 293 mm diameter Teflon filters through which was passed up to 43 cu m of exhaust gas. Extraction of the organic matter was performed in a Soxhlet extractor using hexane. The engine was operated at idle, approach, climb and take-off power settings with low sulfur (0.007%S) and high sulfur (0.25%S) fuels. Most of the PAH were small 3-to-4 fused ring species. No nitrosamines were found and except in a few cases, at low levels, no phenols. PAH and total organic levels decreased with increasing power setting and were more concentrated in the exhaust from the low sulfur fuel. Less than 1% of the organic matter emitted from the engine was adsorbed on the particulate matter.
Pratt and Whitney AircraftCommercial Products Division, 400 Main Street
East Hartford, CT United States 06118
Environmental Protection AgencyEnvironmental Sciences Research Laboratory
Research Triangle Pk, NC United States
- Robertson, D J
- Elwood, J H
- Groth, R H
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 178 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air pollution sources; Amines; Chemical analysis; Exhaust gases; Gas analysis; Gas chromatography; Gas turbines; Hydrocarbons; Mass spectroscopes; Nuclear magnetic resonance; Organic compounds; Particles; Phenol; Sampling; Test procedures; Turbine engines
- Old TRIS Terms: Aromatic polycyclic compounds; Mass spectroscopy; Nitroso compounds
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00192346
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-600/2-79/041 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-02-2458
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM