SAFETY OF HANDLING, STORING AND TRANSPORTATION OF SPENT NUCLEAR FUEL AND VITRIFIED HIGH-LEVEL WASTES
The safety of handling and transportation of spent fuel and vitrified high-level waste has been studied. Only the operations which are performed in Sweden are included. That is: - Transportation of spent fuel from the reactors to an independent spent fuel storage installation (ISFSI). - Temporary storage of spent fuel in the ISFSI. - Transportation of the spent fuel from the ISFSI to a foreign reprocessing plant. - Transportation of vitrified high-level waste to an interim storage facility. - Interim storage of vitrified high-level waste. - Handling of the vitrified high-level waste in a repository for ultimate disposal. For each stage in the handling sequence above the following items are given: - A brief technical description. - A description of precautionary measures considered in the design. - An analysis of the discharges of radioactive materials to the environment in normal operation. - An analysis of the discharges of radioactive materials due to postulated accidents. The dose to the public has been roughly and conservatively estimated for both normal and accident conditions. The expected rate of occurence are given for the accidents. The results show that above described handling sequence gives only a minor risk contribution to the public. (Atomindex citation 09:389346)
- U.S. Sales Only.
- Ericsson, A M
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Contaminants; Handling and storage; Hazardous materials; Materials management; Radioactive materials; Radioactive waste disposal; Radioactive waste facilities; Radioactive wastes; Safety; Solid wastes; Spent reactor fuels; Traffic; Transportation; Waste management; Wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Contamination
- Geographic Terms: Sweden
- Old TRIS Terms: Spent fuel storage; Underground storage; Waste materials traffic; Waste transportation
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00192294
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM