AN EVALUATION OF PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR CROSS TIES AND FASTENERS
This report was prepared as part of the Improved Track Structures Research Program managed by the Transportation Systems Center. This program is sponsored by the Office of Rail Safety Research, Improved Track Structures Research Division, of the Federal Railroad Administration. The report evaluates the technical basis for current tie and fastener specifications. Particular emphasis was placed on correlating track load data and service failure modes with tie/fastener strength requirements. This required a detailed review of the failure history and laboratory tests for the early, intermediate and new concrete tie designs used in several North American test installations. Limitations of current specifications are identified and specific modifications are recommended. A brief review of the development and performance of reconstituted timber ties and steel ties is also included.
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with Bechtel, Inc., San Francisco, CA. See also PB-279 316.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Bechtel Corporation50 Beale Street
San Francisco, CA United States 94119
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- PRAUSE, R H
- KENNEDY, J C
- Arnlund, R C
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 125 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bending; Bending stress; Concrete; Concrete construction; Concrete ties; Costs; Failure analysis; Fasteners; Inspection; Rail fasteners; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Specifications; Steel; Stresses; Structural analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Steel cross ties; Track component investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00192246
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/37 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1044
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM