DRINKING-DRIVING ATTITUDES, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOR: AN ANALYSIS OF THE FIRST FOUR TELEPHONE SURVEYS OF THE FAIRFAX ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT
Four telephone surveys were conducted for the Fairfax ASAP in June and December of 1975 and 1976. During each, 500 ASAP area residents randomly selected from the Northern Virginia phone book were called and were interviewed using standard questionnaires. Differences between survey results were examined through the analysis of individual items and through the construction of five composite scales. The factors assessed by these scales included alcohol experience, alcohol related behavior, alcohol knowledge, alcohol awareness, and attitudes toward bystander intervention. The four samples were similar demographically except for an increase in the representation of single, student age respondents available to be interviewed in the June surveys. There were relatively few differences between responses to the June and December 1976 surveys. The most recent responses were different in some cases from those encountered in the 1975 telephone surveys and in the 1974 household survey. There was significantly less self-reported drinking and driving by respondents in 1976 than in 1974.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored in part by the Virginia Highway Safety Division.
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
Virginia Department of HighwaysTraffic and Planning Division, 1221 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA United States 23219
- Lynn, C
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcohols; Attitudes; Behavior; Data collection; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Highway transportation; Information processing; Knowledge; Prevention; Project management; Questionnaires; Safety; Surveys; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Geographic Terms: Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00192233
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHTRC-77-R52 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-803-979
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-067-1-087
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM