AN ANALYSIS OF DRIVER DIAGNOSIS AND REFERRAL ACTIVITY. FINAL ANALYTICAL STUDY V, 1973-1975
In order to permit the courts to become more effectively involved in rehabilitating the problem drinker-driver, it was first necessary to devise a means by which the problem drinker could be identified. Law 59 of May 1973 established a mandatory pre-sentence investigation for convicted DWI offenders and required his classification as a problem or social drinker before sentence could be announced. From July 1973 through June 1975, there were 7,274 DWI convicted offenders referred to probation officers for pre-sentence investigation. Out of this group, 5,980 cases were completed and 2,126 or 35.5% were diagnosed as problem drinkers. Until February 1974, all pre-sentence investigations were made by the Court Administration. In February, Puerto Rico ASAP hired 19 probation officers for this countermeasure. The cost of each investigation was about $142 in Fiscal Year 1973-74 and $136 for 1974-75. The major consideration in evaluating the validity of the diagnostic procedure was the percentage distribution of problem and social drinkers. This was made on the assumption that the client-flow to a particular diagnostic unit presents a relatively consistent mix of persons with varying degrees of drinking-problem severity. The cumulative monthly percentage of diagnosed problem drinkers varied from 47.1% in November 1973 to 30.4% in February 1974. The percentage averaged 34% in July 1974 through June of 1975, when the same ASAP-sponsored probation officers were doing the investigations, showing improvement and consistency.
- Sponsored in part by Puerto Rico Traffic Safety Commission, Santurce.
Kuttan (Appu) and AssociatesSanturce, Puerto Rico
Washington, DC USA 20590
Puerto Rico Traffic Safety CommissionSanturce, Puerto Rico 00907
- Yeganiantz, L
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcohol use; Countermeasures; Courts; Crash investigation; Diagnosis; Diagnostic tests; Driver rehabilitation; Drivers; Drug abuse; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Problem drivers; Project management; Studies; Traffic conviction; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Convictions; Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: Puerto Rico
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00192226
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-836 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-160-2-251
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM