VALIDATION AND APPLICATION OF THE WRECKER NONLINEAR FINITE ELEMENT PROGRAM IN ANALYZING VEHICLE SIDE STRUCTURES. VOLUME II: TECHNICAL REPORT
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has sponsored the development of a finite element structural analysis computer program called WRECKER. Although there are many other finite element programs in addition to WRECKER, the others generally lack two features essential to the analysis of automotive structures under crash loadings. One feature is the ability to accurately handle the very large displacements and rotations typical of a smashed car. The other feature is the ability to effectively model the material's properties and the types of irregular shapes found in cars. NHTSA's primary objective in developing WRECKER is to have this powerful tool available to aid it in developing new Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). A second objective is to actively make the program available to the automotive structural development community in the interest of improving the safety of future automobile designs.
- See also Volume 1, PB-293793.
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Smith, P G
- Kuo, A S
- Gunn, G D
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 238 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Deformation; Design; Doors; Finite element method; Laws; Loads; Motor vehicle bodies; Motor vehicles; Nonlinear programming; Research; Safety; Shock resistance; Side crashes; Simulation; Structural analysis; Vehicle design; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Impact strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile bodies; Motor vehicle laws & regulations; Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00192221
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 1182F-VOL-2 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-803-860
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01628
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM