SYSTEMS ENGINEERING FOR INTERMODAL FREIGHT SYSTEMS. PHASE I, EXPLORATORY PLANNING. VOLUME II. TASK RESULTS
Volume II is a documentation of current intermodal system and equipment characteristics; identification of institutional, regulatory, and operational constraints to intermodal freight service; discussion of problems and opportunities; and identification of appropriate goals and objectives for an improved intermodal system; development of an evaluation methodology to compare alternative systems; selection of appropriate evaluation factors and criteria; identification of improved and innovative technological components for intermodal freight movement, technological assessment of each component, synthesis of components into subsystems (pick-up and delivery, terminal, and line-haul), analysis at the subsystems level, and development of technologically compatible systems; and final evaluation of alternative technological systems with respect to economics, service, operational impact, technological considerations and social implications.
- See also Volume 1, PB-282 370. Prepared in cooperation with Whitten (Herbert O.) and Associates, Washington, DC., and General Motors Technical Center, Warren, MI. GM Transportation Systems Div.
Kearney (AT) and Company, Incorporated100 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL United States 60606
Whitten (Herbert O) and AssociatesAnnandale, VA United States
General Motors Technical CenterWarren, MI United States 48090
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 822 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling equipment; Container on flat car; Container terminals; Containerization; Containers; Coordination; Cost engineering; Economic analysis; Equipment; Facilities; Flat cars; Freight handling; Freight terminals; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Intermodal facilities; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transportation; Loading and unloading; Marketing; Operations; Piggyback transportation; Planning; Railroad cars; Railroads; Regulations; Systems engineering; Tank cars; Technology assessment; Trailer on flat car; Vehicle design; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design; Cargo transportation; Containerizing; Government regulations; Intermodal containers; Intermodal operations; Loading procedures; Operations planning; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Economics; Freight Transportation; Law; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00192213
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/24.II Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-748-4336
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM