EVALUATION OF AUTOMOBILE DRIVETRAIN COMPONENTS TO IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY
Wide ratio range automatic transmissions with lockup torque converters could be in production by the early 1980's. In order to evaluate their impact upon fuel economy, emissions, driveability, acceleration, and durability, four 1975 Chrysler automobiles with inertia weights and engine sizes typical of that time period were equipped with Multi-Purpose Test Transmissions. These transmissions could duplicate: current three-speed automatic transmissions; wide range three-speed automatic transmissions; and wide range four-speed automatic transmissions with or without torque converter lockup. Each of the test cars were evaluated in seven different transmission modes for fuel economy, emissions, driveability, acceleration, and durability. Fuel economy test results were compared to computer predicted fuel economies. Predicted values agreed with actual fuel economies within the resolution of the test method. Composite fuel economy improvements of up to 14% were achieved with no change in acceleration and durability. Further development work is required to bring emissions and driveability to acceptable levels. Maximum increases in fuel economy due to drivetrain improvements have not been demonstrated due to the possibility for further optimization of engine road load matching and the impacts of emission and driveability modifications.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Hurter, D
- Gott, P
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Automatic transmissions; Automobiles; Automobiles by type; Driving; Durability; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Impact studies; Manual transmissions; Quality assurance; Test procedures; Torque converters
- Uncontrolled Terms: Vehicle make
- Old TRIS Terms: Acceptable quality level; Mechanical drive; Test results
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00192211
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TSC/NHTSA-79-12 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1046
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM