FIRE SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR VEHICLES IN A DOWNTOWN PEOPLE MOVER SYSTEM
The results of a study to formulate fire safety guidelines to be required for vehicles used in Downtown People Mover (DPM) systems for the movement of people in a congested urban area are presented. Through a review of the design features of existing people mover vehicles and systems, and a review of proposed new systems, fire scenarios are developed and guidelines suggested to minimize the fire risk to passengers. Methods and criteria, based on established test procedures, are proposed for assessing the flammability and smoke generation of interior finish and furnishing materials. Fire and smoke detection and suppression equipment are recommended, along with proposed guidelines for emergency evacuation provisions and emergency communication requirements. An extensive bibliography of flammability in fixed guideway transit systems is included.
- Sponsored in part by Urban Mass Transportation Administration, Washington, DC.
National Bureau of StandardsNational Engineering Laboratory, Center for Fire Research
Washington, DC USA 20234
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Peacock, R D
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Disasters and emergency operations; Evacuation; Fire causes; Fire detection systems; Fire prevention; Fires; Flammability; Materials; Passenger transportation; People movers; Prevention; Public transit; Safety; Safety engineering; Smoke; Specifications; Telecommunications; Urban transportation; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Emergency procedures; Requirement
- Old TRIS Terms: Evacuating transportation
- Subject Areas: Design; Materials; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00192146
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBSIR-78-1586 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1981 12:00AM