A STUDY OF THE ECONOMICS AND ENVIRONMENTAL VIABILITY OF A U.S. FLAG TOXIC CHEMICAL INCINERATOR SHIP. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report details the economic and environmental viability of incinerating toxic chemical wastes at sea using a U.S. flag ship(s). The ocean incineration history in Europe and the United States is reviewed first. The impact of international, national, and state rules and regulations on waste quantities and ocean incineration are evaluated. Toxic waste quantities available for ocean incineration (primarily chlorinated and unchlorinated organics) are then estimated for 1977, 1983, and 1989 for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and Western Europe. Capital cost, operating cost, and incineration cost per ton of waste are calculated for a U.S. flag ship and compared with incineration charges for a European ship and for land-based incineration. The conclusion is that a U.S. flag incineration ship(s) is economically and environmentally viable.
- See also Volume II: Detailed Study, PB-291933/0ST; and Volume III: Appendices, PB-291934/8ST. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E10, PB-291 931-SET.
Global Marine Development IncorporatedP.O. Box 3010
Newport Beach, CA USA 92630
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Halebsky, M
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Chemical compounds; Chemical industry; Cost estimating; Costs; Economic analysis; Environmental engineering; Environmental impact analysis; Estimates; Hazardous materials; Incinerators; Industrial wastes; Inorganic compounds; Legislation; Merchant vessels; Metal industry; Operating costs; Organic compounds; Pesticides; Petroleum industry; Petroleum refining; Profits; Smelting; Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Merchant ships
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Finance; Law; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00192106
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-920-79026 Final Rpt., 04068-002-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: MA-7-38029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM