ACCESS TO THE ENVIRONMENT. VOLUME 2: CASE STUDIES OF BARRIER FREE SITES
This second volume in a series of three reference documents for landscape architects and designers presents case studies of proposed or constructed site facilities throughout the U.S. which have been made barrier-free to handicapped or disabled persons. Outdoor facilities are considered in these case studies of housing, campus, playground, transportation, and recreation areas. Elements of barrier-free construction or design include special doors that are wide enough for wheelchairs to pass through, special parking areas close to buildings and equipped with ramps, elevators, rails, special drainage systems, buses with lifting equipment, paths and walkways that are clearly designated, stadium areas for wheelchairs, and playground equipment accessible to handicapped children. Guidelines, criteria, planning considerations, and relationships between design elements are discussed. Photographs of the sites and their various features are provided.
- Also available in set of 3 reports, PB-290800-SET.
American Society of Landscape Architects1750 Old Meadow Road
McLean, VA USA 22102
Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentAssistant Secretary for Policy Development & Research
Washington, DC USA 20410
Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board1331 F Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC USA 20004-1111
- Robinette, G O
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Architecture; Barriers (Roads); Case studies; City planning; Communities; Design; Doors; Dwellings; Elevators; Facilities; Human factors; Human factors engineering; Landscape design; Landscaping; Legislation; Outdoor recreation; Parking lots; Parks; Physically handicapped persons; Public buildings; Ramps; Recreational facilities; Stairs; Standards; Transportation; Urban development
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Stairways
- Subject Areas: Design; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00192055
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: HUD-H-2002
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM