STREAM CHANNEL MODIFICATION IN HAWAII. PART A: STATEWIDE INVENTORY OF STREAMS, HABITAT FACTORS AND ASSOCIATED BIOTA
A state wide, exhaustive inventory of perennial streams with channel modifications, including a general survey of habitat factors and macrofauna, showed that there are at least 366 perennial streams in the five largest islands of Hawaii. Fifteen percent of these streams have been altered. The comparative "abundances" of these are: lined channel, 40%; realigned/cleared, 28%; revetment, 24%; filled-in channel, 5%; elevated culvert, 3%; and extended culvert, 1%. Eighty-nine percent of the total length of lined channel is located on Oahu. On the basis of other human disturbances, only 14% of Hawaiian streams may be physically pristine, and none of these physically pristine streams is on Oahu, the most populous island in the State. Only 27% are of high ecological quality (pristine-preservation use), and none of these high ecological quality streams is on Oahu. Water is exported from 53% of all perennial Hawaiian Streams. Twenty-five species of fish and decapod crustaceans were collected statewide. Only eight of the species are native to the State.
University of Hawaii, ManoaHawaii Cooperative Fishery Research Unit
Honolulu, HI United States 96822
Fish and Wildlife ServiceNational Stream Alteration Team
Columbia, MO United States
- Timbol, A S
- Maciolek, J A
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Animals; Aquatic life; Calcium carbonate; Channels (Waterways); Chlorides; Concentration (Chemistry); Crustacea; Culverts; Ecology; Environmental impacts; Fishes; Habitat (Ecology); Improvements; Invertebrates; Linings; Magnesium; Marine biology; Physical distribution; Retaining walls; Revetments; Sodium; Streams; Sulfur inorganic compounds; Surveys; Temperature; Water quality
- Uncontrolled Terms: Channelization; Fauna; Stream channels
- Geographic Terms: Hawaii; Kauai (Hawaii)
- Old TRIS Terms: Abundance; Distribution property; Indicator species; Inorganic sulfates; Oahu island
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Environment; Freight Transportation; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00192043
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FWS/OBS-78/16 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DI-14-16-0008-1199
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 11 1979 12:00AM