STATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF CRASH CONDITIONS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP TO INJURIES
Statistical models were developed relating injury probabilities in generalized body regions to crash conditions. The data available for use was the Restraint System Evaluation Program file which contains a sample of front seat occupants of 1973 through 1975 model year automobiles in 1974-1975 towaway accidents. The file had been upgraded with the inclusion of calculated crash severity parameters such as barrier equivalent velocity and various crush measures. During the analysis a number of additional crash severity parameters were formulated. A large number of statistical techniques were utilized during the course of the work including AID, cluster analysis, discriminant analysis, categorical analysis, and logistic analysis. The analyses done addressed primarily unrestrained unejected occupants in frontal and side impacts. Additionally, restrained occupants were considered to a lesser extent. Generally, the resulting models provide an injury probability description whose most significant parameter is crash severity but which also includes occupant characteristics and other parameters.
- Prepared in cooperation with Kinetic Research, Incorporated, Madison, Wisconsin.
University of Wisconsin, MadisonStatistical Laboratory
Madison, WI United States 53718
Kinetic Research Incorporated5358 Blue Bill Park Drive
, United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Klimko, L A
- Friedman, K
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 172 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crash rates; Crashes; Frontal crashes; Head; Injuries; Mathematical models; Research; Side crashes; Statistical analysis; Thorax; Traffic crashes; Vehicle occupants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191731
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-818 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01559
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1979 12:00AM