A STUDY TO ACCOMMODATE THE ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED ON EXISTING COMMUTER RAIL COACHES
The report examines the feasibility of making the existing Detroit-Pontiac commuter rail service more readily accessible by the elderly and handicapped. It examines three types of railroad coaches (1500, 4800, and 9600 series cars) currently owned by the Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority (SEMTA) as well as existing rail stations in the overall analysis to provide rail service for the elderly and handicapped. The report is definitive toward the methods required to modify the interiors of these cars to accommodate the onboard handicapped passenger (including bathroom facilities). The report also presents innovative concepts to the problem of boarding/unloading the handicapped. Some of the conclusions presented are the following--(1) that present commuter rail facilities are not accessible for ingress/egress by the unassisted elderly and handicapped; and (2) that two of the three types of railcars owned by SEMTA can be modified to accommodate the elderly and handicapped providing that each station platform complement the proposed car modification. The guidelines used as reference material for this study were the Michigan 'General Rules' of the Construction Code Commissions Barrier Free Design Graphics. This report provides numerous diagrams depicting floor arrangements and the proposed modifications to these cars.
- Prepared in cooperation with Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority, Detroit. Sponsored in part by Michigan Dept. of State Highways and Transportation, Lansing.
Klauder (Louis T) and AssociatesPhiladelphia National Bank Building
Philadelphia, PA United States 19107
Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority211 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI United States 48226
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Michigan Department of TransportationState Transportation Building, 425 West Ottawa Street, P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI United States 48909
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Aged; Commuter cars; Level of service; Passenger cars; Passenger terminals; Persons with disabilities; Railroad cars; Railroad stations; Railroad transportation; Ramps; Regulations; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Geographic Terms: Michigan
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations; Passenger car design; Passenger stations
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191670
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-TUD-30-79-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 13 1981 12:00AM