TRANSPORT OF SOLID COMMODITIES VIA FREIGHT PIPELINE: VOLUME II. THE DEMAND FOR SOLID FREIGHT PIPELINE
The demand analysis for solid freight pipeline was pursued along two closely related lines in the second year of research. One line of demand analysis expanded the aggregate and disaggregate demand work completed during the first year. The other line of demand analysis investigated the likely pipeline originations and terminations by specific geographical subareas in both Philadelphia and Chicago to enable likely pipeline terminal location, right of way determination, and access and egress costs to be explored. The aggregate demand analysis was expanded from the three standard transportation-commodity code (STCC) commodities used during the first year to sixteen STCC commodities used during the second year. Models of modal split between truck and rail (as a function of modal rates and times) were developed for each of the sixteen commodities. This was followed by estimating pipeline penetration for each commodity by substituting pipeline cost and time for first truck and then rail following the methodology outlined in the first year report (the abstract mode approach).
- See also RRIS 11 191664; Bulletin 7902. Also available in set of 4 reports, PC E10, PB-292 657-SET.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaDepartment of Civil and Urban Engineering
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Allen, W B
- Kerringan, J
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Capsule pipelines; Commodities; Competition; Costs; Demand; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Modal split; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Railroad transportation; Statistics; Technology assessment; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: Illinois; Pennsylvania
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Commodity statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Freight Transportation; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00191666
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB-50/7834Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50119
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 13 1979 12:00AM