AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT REPORT - MIDAIR COLLISION INVOLVING A FALCON JET, N121GW AND A CESSNA 150M, N6423K, MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE, MAY 18, 1978
About 1210 c.d.t. on May 18, 1978, a Falcon Jet DA-20, N121GW, collided in midair with a Cessna 150M, N6423K, 3.7 miles west of Memphis International Airport, Memphis, Tennessee. The Falcon Jet, which was on an instrument flight rules flight plan, had an instructor pilot and three students on board. An instructor pilot and one passenger were aboard the Cessna 150M. The Cessna was VFR and was receiving Stage III radar service. Both aircraft were under control of Memphis tower controllers and were in radar and radio contact with the tower. The weather in the Memphis area was scattered clouds at 4,500 feet and visibility--6 miles with haze. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the failure of controller personnel to separate the aircraft as required by procedures established for a terminal radar service area, to insure that proper coordination was effected, to issue appropriate traffic advisories, and the failure of each flightcrew to see and avoid the other aircraft.
- Paper copy available on subscription, North American Continent price $40.00/year; all others write for quote.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20594
- Publication Date: 1978-11-30
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Airborne navigational aids; Aircraft crashes; Collisions; Crash investigation; General aviation; Instructors; Instrument flying; Jet propelled aircraft; Midair collisions; Navigation; Radar; Students; Terminal air traffic control; Transport aircraft
- Identifier Terms: Cessna 150 aircraft; Falcon aircraft; Memphis International Airport
- Geographic Terms: Tennessee
- Old TRIS Terms: Visual navigation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Education and Training; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00191631
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-AAR-78-14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM