RIVER TOW BEHAVIOR IN WATERWAYS. REPORT 2. SECOND EXXON TEST PROGRAM
This is the final report on a program to obtain and analyze data on river tow behavior. This report describes the second full-scale river tow test program conducted in this country in which second-by-second records of tow positon, attitude, rudder, power, and river environment parameters are obtained and analyzed. This study is an expanded version of the study format established during the first EXXON Co., USA(EXXON), test program. This report contains the results of the Post-Trial Analysis activities. Section 2 describes the physical characteristics of the tows used in the trials. Section 3 describes the geography of the trial area, field survey activities, and current measurements undertaken to support the tow tests. Section 4 describes the instrumentation, equipment, and procedures used during the trials. Section 5 and 6 contain charts, graphs, and descriptions of the EXXON NASHVILLE and EXXON LAKE CHARLES steering tests. Section 7 discusses the steering test performance. Section 8 describes the performance of the Exxon tows during straight course, speed-power runs. Section 9 discusses the special backing and stopping tests performed. Section 10 describes the data reduction activities.
Schulz (RM) AssociatesLafayette, CA USA 94549
- Schulz, R M
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 163 p.
- TRT Terms: Backing (Driving); Barges; Driving; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Potentiometers; Rivers; Ship pilotage; Steering; Stopping; Test procedures; Tests; Towboat operations; Towboats; Towing devices; Towing vehicles; Transportation; Waterways
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge maneuverability; River navigation; Steering characteristics; Stopping characteristics; Tow maneuverability; Tow performance monitoring; Towing tests
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191558
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-TR-H-78-17-2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DACW39-77-C-0086
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM