CORRELATIONS OF CATALYTIC COMBUSTOR PERFORMANCE PARAMETERS
Performance parameters were correlated for a catalytic combustor. Correlations for combustion efficiency, percentage pressure drop and the minimum required adiabatic reaction temperature necessary to meet emissions goals of 13.6 g CO/kg fuel and 1.64 g HC/kg fuel are presented. Combustion efficiency was found to be a function of the cell density, cell circumference, reactor length, reference velocity, and adiabatic reaction temperature. The percentage pressure drop at an adiabatic reaction temperature of 1450 exp 0 K was found to be proportional to the reference velocity to the 1.5 power. The percentage pressure drop was also found to be proportional to the reactor length and inversely proportional to the pressure, cell hydraulic diameter, and fractional open area. The minimum required adiabatic reaction temperature needed to meet the emissions goals was found to increase with reference velocity and decrease with cell circumference, cell density, and reactor length. A catalyst factor was introduced into the correlations to account for differences between catalysts. Combustion efficiency, the percentage pressure drop, and the minimum required adiabatic reaction temperature were found to be a function of the catalyst factor. The catalyst factor ranged from 0.12 to 1.52. The data was from a 12-cm-dia test rig with noble metal reactors using propane fuel at an inlet temperature of 800 exp 0 K, a pressure of 3 x 10 exp 5 Pa, and reference velocities from 10 to 20 m/s.
- Workshop on catalytic combustion, Asheville, NC, USA, 3 Oct 1978.
Department of the NavyThe Pentagon
Washington, DC United States 20350
Department of Energy1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20585
- Bulzan, D L
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Carbon monoxide; Catalysts; Catalytic converters; Combustion; Correlation analysis; Economic efficiency; Gas turbines; Hydrocarbons; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Palladium; Performance; Performance tests; Platinum; Pollutants; Propane; Temperature
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Old TRIS Terms: Catalytic combustors; Performance testing
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191529
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TM-79014
- Contract Numbers: EC-77-A-31-1040
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM