ORBES PHASE I: INTERIM FINDINGS
This report is an integrated summary of various elements of Phase I of the Ohio River Basin Energy Study (ORBES) which includes three parallel but independent preliminary technology assessments and a number of in-depth topical studies. ORBES Phase I was conducted by research faculty from six state universities in the state comprising the Phase I study region: all of Kentucky, and substantial portions of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The results reported are preliminary in nature and reflect limitations in data availability and analysis which were found. Four alternative scenarios for energy development in the region through the year 2000 were employed to conduct the analysis. Some of the major preliminary fundings of this first year assessment are: (1) air quality limitations in the region are becoming increasingly important considerations; (2) water availability limitations may become important before the year 2000; and (3) a high rate of growth may be associated with an insufficiency of skilled labor to construct conversion facilities. The implications of these and other selected findings for public policy development are discussed.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL United States 61801
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Energy, Minerals and Industry
Washington, DC United States 20460
- Stukel, J J
- Keenan, B
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 172 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Alternatives analysis; Coal; Coal industry; Ecology; Economic impacts; Electric power generation; Electric power plants; Environmental impacts; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Industries; Land use; Planning; Public health; Social factors; Social impacts; Traffic forecasting; Transportation; Water consumption; Water pollution
- Geographic Terms: Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky; Ohio; Ohio River Basin
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00191474
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/7-77/120 Summ Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-R-804848-01
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM