SUMMARY STATISTICS OF THE NATIONAL RAILROAD - HIGHWAY CROSSING INVENTORY FOR PUBLIC AT-GRADE CROSSINGS. SECOND EDITION. INVENTORY STATUS AS OF MAY 1978
In response to the Federal Railroad Safety Act of 1970, a joint government/industry effort to compile a national inventory of railroad-highway crossings was initiated in 1972 and completed in 1976. The inventory contains data on the physical and operational characteristics of all 402,000 railroad-highway crossings in the United States of which approximately 219,000 are public at-grade, 142,000 are private, 37,500 are public grade separated and 3,500 are pedestrian. This report presents comprehensive statistical summaries of the characteristics for all public at-grade crossings reported in the inventory as of May 1978. This information will be useful at the Federal, state and local levels for determining effective allocation of crossing improvement funds and developing R&D, legislative, information and education programs aimed at improving safety at crossings.
- See also report dated Jun 77, PB-271 334. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- HITZ, J S
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: At grade intersections; Cost allocation; Grade crossing protection systems; Highways; Improvements; Intersections; Inventory; Policy; Railroad grade crossings; Railroads; Research; Safety; Statistics; Tables (Data); Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Justification
- Old TRIS Terms: Allocations; Government policies; Grade crossing protection
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Policy; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00191455
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FRA-78-19 Final Rpt., FRA/OPPD-78/20
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM