PASSENGER VEHICLE BRAKING STUDY
The report is a summary of currently available brake components and braking systems that might be applicable to 150-mph passenger service. The summary includes an analysis of the braking problem, a description of braking systems now in use and an evaluation of several advanced braking systems. The report reviews whether or not eddy-current brakes should be developed for use on Amcoaches and/or Metroliners in high-speed service in the Northeast Corridor. This report also considers what systems or components should be developed in the event that eddy-current brakes prove unusable.
- Record URL:
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Serocki, J
- Scofield, R
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Brakes; Braking; Braking performance; Deceleration; Disc brakes; Eddy current brakes; Electric brakes; Evaluation; High speed rail; Passenger cars; Passenger vehicles; Railroad cars; Sliding friction; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak; Metroliner (Express train)
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems; Hydrokinetic brakes; Passenger car design; Tread braking; Wheel slide
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191446
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/33 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-64113
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM