HYDRODYNAMIC ASPECTS OF SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE PLATFORMS
In the present study an attempt is made to derive a design method by which the behaviour of semi-submersibles in waves can be predicted. Also the influence is discussed of details which scientifically can be proven to exist but which are neglected in this method. The prediction method developed has been based on the relative motion concept applied to the components of the platform. An optimization technique is presented using the method for predicting the platform behaviour in waves. As a result of this technique the dimensions are deduced of a semi-submersible platform, which from a hydrodynamical point of view means that the horizontal motions which are influenced by the mooring system are not taken into consideration, since hydrodynamic aspects are then introduced which are different from the aspects investigated in the present study.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinHaagsteed 2, P.O. Box 28
- Hooft, J P
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 132 p.
- Issue Number: 400
- TRT Terms: Coefficients; Force; Mass; Offshore platforms; Semisubmersibles; Ship motion; Waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Added mass; Floating platforms; Wave forces on structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00041855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 6 1973 12:00AM