TRANSPORTATION AND THE ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED: A LITERATURE CAPSULE
This volume, one in a series initiated by the U.S. Department of Transportation, is intended to make the literature in transportation concerning the elderly and handicapped more accessible to decisionmakers in the community. It includes an introduction to the literature, selected summaries of five detailed studies in transportation for the elderly and handicapped, and an annotated bibliography. Literature selected for identification and annotation is organized according to five categories: overview, needs, programs, planning and policy. Approximately 100 citations are included that date from 1970, and an author index and a listing of suggested periodicals and other sources of information are provided. Five studies in transportation for the elderly and handicapped are detailed: (1) Transportation for Older Americans - The State of the Art, a comprehensive survey of the transportation problems of older Americans; (2) The Handicapped and Elderly Market for Urban Mass Transit, an evaluation of the urban market for mass transit alternatives to serve the elderly and handicapped; (3) Transportation for the Elderly and Handicapped - A Prototype Case Study of New York State Experience in Activating an Element of a Federal Grant Program; (4) Lincoln Experimental Transportation Demonstration Project, a study of various types of transportation services for elderly and handicapped residents in Lancaster County, Nebraska; and (5) Planning Handbook - Transportation Services for the Elderly, a manual for transportation planning methods and techniques.
- Executive Summary available from PROJECT SHARE, P.O. Box 2309, Rockville, Md. 20852 as SHR-0002083/ES.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bibliographies; Canal linings; Decision making; Demonstration projects; Handbooks; Human factors; Information dissemination; Manuals; Needs assessment; Passenger trains; Persons with disabilities; Public transit; Rapid transit; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Special service
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00191297
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1981 12:00AM